Monday, July 14, 2008

"Temblique" (Chocolate Coconut Custard)


Okay so I went to "Vallarta" (a predominantly Mexican Market) they where promoting "Nestle" products the day I went. They gave me a flyer with some recipe to promote their products. I saw the recipe for this called "Temblique" (it means shaking like kinda like when jello shakes wobbly etc.) In case you guys didn't know "Nestle" products are very popular among Mexicans. For example "Lechera" is produced by "Nestle", "Chocolate Abuelita" is also produced by Nestle and Im sure just about every Mexican and some other Hispanics know EXACTLY what those 2 products I mentioned are no matter if they cant cook they know what Im talking about those are some staple in the pantry.
Much to my surprise (NOT) I had all the necessary ingredients in my pantry to make it.
Once I made it, it reminded me of the Cuban/Spaniard "Natilla" dessert which is done in a very similar fashion and also has same texture except it's a vanilla egg custard with a hint of lime and cinnamon.


Ingredients:
-2 Cans of Coconut Milk (Leche de Coco)
-½ a can or ½ a cup of Sweetened Condensed Milk (Lechera)
-1 tablet of "Mexican Chocolate" like "Chocolate Abuelita" types.
-½ Cup Cornstarch ("Maizena" or "Ficula de Maiz")
-2-4 tsp. Coconut liquor (optional I didn't use it and it turned out awesome)
-Toasted Shredded Dessicated Coconut (Coco rallado desecado)

Directions:
-Mix in a medium pot coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, cornstarch, and Mexican Chocolate.


-Put pot over medium high heat stirring in one direction constantly this takes like 10 minutes or more keep stirring until it gets really hot and starts to thicken


-Remove from heat mix in coconut liquor if you have it.
-Put in a/ spread in a pan or large serving dish LET COOL AT ROOM TEMPERATURE. Top with toasted shredded coconut (you don't have to toast I just choose to do so)

-Top it and when it cools CHILL IN THE REFRIDGERATOR ATLEAST 2 HOURS OVERNIGHT IS BEST IT TURNS REALLY NICE AND FIRM!

2 comments:

RoseyNyC said...

I love Temblique! I make it all the time but never with chocolate. Next time i make i will try your recipe :D

Nathan said...

Tell me what you thin when you try it, it is so rich :)